Kyung Lah interviews Christopher Savoie

CNN’s Kyung Lah was able to interview Christopher Savoie, a Japanese citizen (an American passport holder?) who was arrested earlier this week for “abducting” his children and trying to take them back to America, where a court has stripped his Japanese ex-wife of their custody:
Savoie chose his words carefully, lest police Officer Toshihiro Tanaka cut short the rare interview Savoie was granted with CNN on Thursday. There were so many rules: No recording devices. No tough questions. Speak only in Japanese.
“I want Americans to know what’s happening to me,” Savoie continued in Japanese. “I didn’t do anything wrong. Children have the right to see both parents. It’s very important for my children to know both parents.”
Both the news video and Kyung Lah’s article about the interview were posted on the CNN website a few hours ago. Remarkably, she fails to mention key details that Mainichi and the Associated Press have been reporting for some time now, most notably the fact that the children has spent almost all of their lives in Japan.
A new Associated Press article has interviewed a friend of Christopher’s ex-wife to get her side of the story:
Noriko Savoie did not have court permission to bring the children to the country where they had spent most of their lives, and Christopher Savoie says he didn’t do anything wrong when he tried to get them back.
Court records and conversations with a friend, Miiko Crafton, make it clear that Noriko Savoie was hurt and angry from the divorce and chafing at the cultural differences.
She had no income when she moved to the U.S. in June 2008, divorce court filings show, and appears to have been totally dependent on Christopher Savoie, who was still legally her husband but was involved with another woman.
Crafton, a native of Japan who befriended Noriko Savoie during her short time in Tennessee, said her friend tried to get a divorce while the couple still lived in Japan, but her husband had refused and later persuaded her to move to the U.S. with the children.
“Everything was provided so she could begin a new lifestyle, but right after that he gave her divorce papers,” Crafton said. “So basically she was trapped.”
Although financially stable — she was awarded close to $800,000 in cash as well as other support in the divorce — Noriko Savoie was not free to return to Japan. She was given primary custody of the children, but her ex-husband was also awarded time with them.
She felt mistreated by the courts and emotionally abused by her ex-husband, Crafton said.
We appear to have a mess on our hands. I had originally believed it was a good thing that American media outlets had decided to give some major attention to the issue of child abductions and Japan’s non-membership in the Hague Convention, but it now looks like they made a big mistake in placing most of their focus on the complicated Savoie case. I fear that this could damage the chances of winning Japanese sympathy for this issue, something that won’t help the many other foreign parents who are seeking policy change from Japan.
Note: Kyung Lah has joined Twitter, apparently as a means of spreading the word about her exclusive interview with Savoie. This should make her more accessible to readers, and perhaps even make her aware of some of the problems with her reporting style.
- Akihabara News – Gadgetry from Japan (Subscribe)
- dannychoo.com – Your portal to Japan (Subscribe)
