Tomohiro Kato – Akihabara Killer
Some photos of Tomohiro Kato, the 25-year-old man who went on a stabbing rampage in Akihabara yesterday:
Tomohiro Kato drove a white two-ton rental truck into a crowd of pedestrians, running over at least three people and then emerging from the truck with a large knife, according to police and witnesses.
Indiscriminately slashing and stabbing as he went, Kato then ran and walked through the center of the Akihabara neighborhood, where thousands of young men from Japan and around the world gather for electronic gadgets and comic books, computer games and nerdy fellowship.
“I am tired of life,” Kato later told police. “I came to Akihabara to kill people. It didn’t matter who they were. I came alone.” – The Washington Post
Some details about Kato that have been reported in the press:
- He had been to Akihabara many times in the past.
- He worked for a Tokyo-based temp company that had dispatched him to a job in Shizuoka.
- He was originally from Aomori Prefecture, where he lived until he graduated from high school.
- He played tennis in junior high, and a junior high.
- A yearbook page obtained by the press contains a sketch of an RPG character with some text Kato had written in English.
- A high school classmate told the press there had once been rumors that Kato carried a knife at school.
A close up of the yearbook sketch, which appears to be from the game Tales of Destiny:
Kato drawn in ASCII, from 2-channel:
Police are currently investigating why Kato became “tired of life.”
All our updates about this story so far:
- Stabbing rampage in Akihabara [Tokyo]: 7 people killed
- Tomohiro Kato – Akihabara Killer
- Bloggers respond to the Akihabara killings
- FTV focuses on Akihabara killer’s love of anime
- ‘Wanted’ video targets Akihabara idiots