Family Mart has given in to consumer pressure and apologized for its sale of a racist magazine… [but other convenience stores have yet to apologize]
Update: As of February 5th, FamilyMart has stated that they have instructed all stores to remove the magazine from their shelves immediately.
Update 2: FamilyMart’s claim that it removed the magazine from their stores has been thrown into doubt, and they have admitted that some stores are still selling it. They claim to have sent a new removal order on February 7th…
Update 3: FamilyMart has issued an apology for the sale of the magazine, so we are calling off our boycott on FamilyMart.
February 15, 2007 Update: Circle K Sunkus has apologized for selling the magazine! [More information here.]
Reports from foreigner commenters on Debito.org, Big Daikon forums, and this site have revealed that Family Mart, a Japanese convenience store chain, is selling
an anti-foreigner magazine called “Gaijin Hanzai Ura File” [Foreigner Crime File] in many of its locations across Japan. I was able to confirm these reports today when I found that a Family Mart in Saitama Prefecture had 5 copies of the magazine, all of them displayed in the very front of its magazine rack. I purchased one of the copies, so that I could look over the magazine myself. As reported, it labels foreigners as a source of crime and even has pages in which it condemns interracial sex between foreigners and Japanese women:
Oi Nigger!! Get your fuckin’ hands off that Japanese lady’s ass!! [Actual scan from the book, and it clearly says “nigger” in katakana.]
Japanese Title: 驚愕の外人犯罪裏ファイル
Publisher: Eichi Shuppan 150-001 Tokyo-to, Shibuya-ku, Jingumae 5-38-4
Publisher-in-Chief: Joey H. Washington
Publisher Website: Here
The magazine is disgusting, and I don’t think it would be out of line to use the word racist when referring to it. We here at Japan Probe are not going to let a mainstream convenience stores. We would like to call for an international boycott of convenience stores the sold this magazine.
What exactly do we mean by “boycott”?
- We ask that you not shop at any of the convenience stores that sold this magazine, whether they be in Japan or in other countries.
- Please write letters or e-mails to
FamilyMartand the other convenience stores selling the magazine, letting them know your displeasure with their decision to sell racist literature. [See the list below]
- Spread the word about this to everyone you know. The foreign community in Japan is very small, so we will need every person we can get. If you have friends in one of the other countries
FamilyMart orthe other convenience stores selling the magazine operates, let them know about the boycott. If you have a website or blog, please write about this and spread the news [feel free to use the above image to show your support to the boycott]. If anyone has contacts in the media, please let them know about this!
- We also support any other peaceful and legal method of getting the word out about this issue.
What do we want from the convenience stores selling this book?
FamilyMart andthe other convenience stores selling the magazine must issue an official apologies and remove all copies of the magazine from their stores.
- –We have dropped the request for stores to no longer stock Eichi’s other magazines or make charitable contributions to international organizations, as it’s unrealistic to expect such a radical response from the convenience stores.–
If you’re planning to contact FamilyMart and complain, please use the following contact information:
FamilyMart Co., Ltd.
Family Mart USA
Contact forms of other konbinis that are said to be selling the magazine: [This is unconfirmed. Readers: please send us a receipt or photo proving that the magazines are on sale in these stores!]
Circle K / Sunkus: Online Contact Form
Circle K Sunkus Co., Ltd.
Shiohama Bldg., 20-1 Shiohama 2-chome, Koto-ku, Tokyo 135-8539, Japan
Corporate Communications & Environmental Affairs Office
Mail to: email@example.com
- AM/PM: Online Contact Form
customer service at: 1-800-322-2726
- Daily Yamazaki
Telephone: (81) 3-3864-3111
Fax: (81) 3-3864-3109
As part of this campaign, we would like to compile a list of known store locations that have sold the magazine in question. If possible, take pictures of the magazines on their display rack, so we can post them here. If you buy a copy as a reference, scan your receipt as proof that it was purchased at any store.
List of online retailers selling Gaijin Hanzai Ura File [If you must buy a copy, buy it online, as these retailers are not directly promoting the magazine by displaying on store shelves.]
- Amazon.co.jp [Amazon has explained their position, and I accept their position and will not be boycotting them.]
- 7&Y [Part of the Seven Eleven Group]
- Kinokuniya BookWeb
- Rakuten Books
- Honya Town
List of stores that sold Gaijin Hanzai Ura File [We encourage you to boycott these]
FamilyMart stores across Japan Circle K /Sunkus stores across Japan…
- Daily Yamazaki stores across Japan…[unconfirmed, please send us a picture of the items on a shelf or your receipt!]
- AM/PM stores across Japan…[unconfirmed, please send us a picture of the items on a shelf or your receipt!]
- Save On stores across Japan…[unconfirmed, please send us a picture of the items on a shelf or your receipt!]